- Keep tempting foods out of sight.
- Put tempting foods in out-of-the-way places.
- Decorate the house without using food.
Food for Guests
- Make dough ornaments instead of cookies.
- Bake only in amounts you can use up quickly.
- Donate your baked items to food banks for the needy.
- Set aside a measured portion of dough or batter for yourself.
- Set a small number of cookies aside to eat at your leisure.
- To control the urge to taste, chew a double stick of gum
- Sip sparkling water
- Keep non-problem foods on hand for unexpected guests.
- Have lower-calorie foods and drinks on hand.
- Keep items on hand that need to be assembled to be appealing.
Keeping Track of Yourself
- Take acceptable snacks to work.
- Stay away from the treats other people bring.
Holiday Dinners and Parties
- Write down everything you eat.
- Establish times throughout the day for planned meals and snacks.
- Keep low-calorie snacks prepared and in sight.
- Pre-package meals and snacks.
- Allow yourself one planned treat each day or week, depending on your excercise program.
- Review the Social Eating section for specific ideas.
- Select two or three specific meals or parties at which you plan to indulge.
- Carry written strategy cards with you.